Rachel Thompson

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Interviewing #Fantasy Author Joshua Silverman (The Soul of the World - Legends of Amun Ra #2)

Image of Joshua Silverman

How did you develop your writing?
As uncomplicated as it sounds, I read a lot and I wrote a lot. That’s the only real way to do it.
Where do you get your inspiration from?
Mostly historical events or myths.
What is hardest – getting published, writing or marketing?
I kind of joke that if you can’t write a novel, then you shouldn’t be an author (assuming you want to write for a profession and not a hobby). To me, the writing is the easiest part – it only gets more difficult from there. Getting a publisher is ten times harder than writing your manuscript. Selling your book is ten times harder still. One only needs to go to a used bookstore to see how many authors got published but failed to sell. You don’t see the best books on used bookshelves.
What marketing works for you?
Facebook and conventions. I meet so many people at shows that the face-to-face interaction is invaluable.
What else do you do to make money, other than write? It is rare today for writers to be full time…
I work in the legal services industry. A typical 9-5 desk job.
What other jobs have you had in your life?
My very first job was an umpire for little league baseball. I’ve worked at Subway, in-house sales, telemarketing, door-to-door sales, real estate investment firms, law firms, and accounting firms.
If you could study any subject at university what would you pick?
I’d go back and get a degree in history or philosophy, even though they have little application to the job market (so says a Yahoo! Article I just read on the worst degrees for job opportunities).
If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be?
In the mountains. It’s far enough from civilization where I’m not stressed about traffic or the day-to-day craziness of our lives, but close enough where I wouldn’t feel so disconnected that I’m fifty miles from the nearest grocery store (because I despise cooking).
How do you write – lap top, pen, paper, in bed, at a desk?
Laptop mostly. I do have an audio recorder for ideas I get while I’m driving.
Where do you get support from? Do you have friends in the industry?
I have a few friends in the industry, but the most support I get is from my wife as she has to deal with me talking to my characters in my head or locking myself in a room for 8 hours, refusing to come out because I’m working. It takes a special kind of someone to be married to an author.

1175648_514024498686135_1699853908_n
The ancient powers lost to Potara have returned. The Brotherhood of the Black Rose rises to bring Thoth into disorder. And, while the Brotherhood reclaims their power, chaos reigns among the survivors. Six individuals have emerged from the aftermath struggling for control over their lives and a divided land. Kem and Shirin, who abolished the five thousand year reign of the Amun Priests, rule from the golden throne of the Oracle’s Chair in the Hall of the Nine. Dio and Axios struggle to piece together a resistance worthy to challenge the ancient magic which resides in the Great Temple of Amun, and Leoros and Atlantia try to remain true to their hearts and their cause despite tragedy.
But when the Book of Breathings is discovered, the path to immortality is revealed. Leoros and Kem race to capture the Soul of the World unaware of the challenges awaiting them. This time, the gods themselves will intervene.
In a tale where boys become men and girls become women, where treachery and deception are around every corner, and where primeval mysticism finds its way back from the grave, victory is reserved for neither the good nor the evil, but the powerful.
Buy Here
Genre – Science fiction, Fantasy
Rating – PG-13+
More details about the author
Connect with Joshua Silverman on Facebook Twitter

0 comments:

Post a Comment